Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Hidden corners

The last week of August is one of my favourite times of the year and I refer to it as 'Flycatcher Week', especially since chats were reclassified as flycatchers. For inland patch-workers, this is the time to be on high alert for Spotted and Pied Flycatchers, Whinchats and Common Redstarts.

I had already missed out on two Redstarts at Dagenham Chase on Aug 24th when I was there as by the time I'd gone to where they were they'd disappeared. Two days later I tried again and was walking around the scrub near Crowfoot Marsh where one of them had been. As I walked into a clearing there was a Redstart feeding on the ground not far away. Success, a patch-tick and London year-tick!

Common Redstart

It was a very obliging bird and didn't mind my presence as it continued feeding on the ground. I left it in peace after a few photos and wandered off looking for other migrants.

The following day I headed down to Barking Riverside where the incoming tide was perfect for waders. As usual there was a little flock of Common Sands and then I found a Ringed Plover and, even better, a juvenile Turnstone, my first for the site. There had been one here a week ago so it might be the same one hanging around in the area.

I was back at Dagenham Chase the next day with a target of Spot Fly. I even received notification of one when I was on the way there but it had somehow vanished by the time I arrived a few minutes later. I carried on, checking all the trees and hedgerows. After scanning The Slack (the Wood Sand had now departed) I decided to check the Dell, another scrubby area. I hadn't gone very far when I saw my quarry - Spot Fly!

Spotted Flycatcher

Another patch-tick and London year-tick. I heard that the Redstart was showing again in the same place and as it wasn't very far, I wandered over to the spot where it was getting a good togging.

Another Common Redstart

As it was a young male in the same place I assumed it was the same bird but when I compared my photos, I discovered it was actually a different one.

On August 29th I visited another of my local patches, Beam Parklands and stood on a ridge for my first official vis-mig session of autumn. I was hoping for a Tree Pipit or at least a Yellow Wagtail but no passerines flew over at all. Instead, I picked up a large raptor flying high northwest which I quickly ID'd as a Marsh Harrier, my first in the Beam Valley and wider Dagenham Corridor.

I also uncovered the mystery of why there's a nearby road called Lower Mardyke:


I walked through Old Dagenham Park on the way home and was surprised to see the winter gull flock building up already which included three Common Gulls which don't normally arrive until October.

On Wednesday I decided to visit a corner of Rainham Marshes that I'd not previously explored.

Site 90: Rainham Marshes LNR, August 30th

I took the 287 to Rainham and crossed over the railway but instead of carrying on down the path towards Rainham West, I turned right then doubled back under the bridge to the only access point to this reserve.

View of the reserve from the footbridge



I'm not clear who manages this area, the eBird hotspot goes to great lengths to stress it's not the RSPB and the sign seems to agree and suggests it's the London Borough of Havering. Whoever it is they really need to maintain it as much of the paths have largely disappeared under vegetation. It was very wet walking around but I did the outer loop in a clockwise direction and then the small inner circuit.

Chiffchaff

Dunnock

Grey Heron

It took just over an hour to walk around and there were a few migrant warblers around and a couple of Hobbies appeared briefly before heading back over the A13.

My plan was to do the loop of Rainham West, walking anti-clockwise from my usual access point instead of along the cycle track. The path was also quite overgrown until it emerges onto Coldharbour Lane about a third of the way round. I was about to carry on walking on the pavement up to the other end of the cycle path when I noticed a little cut through between the factories so I decided to follow it.

Site 91: Crown Walkway & Rainham Riverside (Three Crowns), August 30th

I've had to make up the name for this area as it doesn't have one on eBird. It also appears to be the mythical area 'Three Crowns' which I've seen on signposts but didn't know what it referred to. I half expected there to be an ancient pub on the riverside called the Three Crowns but if there is, I didn't come across it. Perhaps it only appears on certain days of the year.


Entrance to the Crown Walkway

At the far end it joins the London Loop, which on this section is part of the riverwall. I'd seen this path on Google maps but couldn't find an access point so it was good to accidentally come across it. I followed the path eastwards towards the Tilda rice factory.

Maybe they were searching for the Three Crowns as well?

Looking across the river to Crossness

Tilda rice factory

The hedges look perfect for a Bluetail in October!

I turned around at Tilda but it looks like the path continues on towards the Concrete Barges. There weren't many birds around but it is an area that is worth checking again.

Black-headed Gull

Mallard

I went back along the path and out along the Crown Walkway and continued my loop of Rainham West. It was fairly quiet but I did hear a Kingfisher on the way back. It was an interesting morning's walk and nice to uncover an area of Rainham Marshes that I didn't even know existed. At some point I'll have to follow the path from the walkway inland to see where it emerges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring birding in London

After spending the second half of March in Costa Rica it was good to get back and watch the spring migrants arrive. April is one of the best...