Sunday, June 4, 2023

In and around Dagenham

With the spring migration tailing off, I've had time to visit some more local places.

Site 70, Beckton Creekside, May 10th

I last visited this site a few years ago looking for an Iceland Gull which I failed to see. It's very underwatched probably because it's off the beaten track and not easy to get to. Last time I walked from Barking station and it was a very convoluted route to get there. This time I took the 173 bus and alighted at the North Circular stop on the A13 and walked down to Jenkyns Lane and it was only two minutes to the entrance.


This bit of the area is called the Northern Lagoon which is a bit of a misnomer as there is no lagoon. It's a narrow track which eventually comes out alongside Barking Creek. The area is also known as Barking Creekside and Creekside, Barking to add to the confusion!

The main track to the Thames goes along the edge of Beckton Sewage Works but between the track and the creek is a Thames Water nature reserve and I went round here first to explore. 

Northern path - full of wildflowers

the nature reserve

Looking towards the sewage works

There were plenty of warblers singing away in the bushes and reeds.

Chiffchaff

I rejoined the main track at the end of the reserve and carried on walking down to the Thames. The tide was low so there was plenty of exposed mud for Shelduck, gulls and a few Oystercatchers.

Shelduck


Exposed mud by the Thames

I then walked straight back along the main track. Once back on Jenkyns Lane I walked under the A13 and then up the steps to the bus stop. It's a good little area which deserves more coverage and I plan to add it to my list of local sites that I'll be visiting regularly.

Site 71: Goresbrook Park, May 22nd

This is my closest park in Dagenham and is just a couple of minutes walk away. It's an odd shaped park with some 'corners' separated from the main park by roads. The Goresbrook runs through the main park with tarmac paths running either side of it.



On this occasion I did a circuit of the main park and also the northern most corner. Although it's mostly mown grass there are some mature trees and wilder areas, especially along parts of the brook.

The Goresbrook


The park contains mostly common birds as it is hemmed in on all sides by housing but the brook does add some variety.

Carrion Crow

Juvenile Starling (left bird) waiting to be fed

Woodpigeon

Site 72: Bretons Farm, June 4th

This site is in the Beam Valley and lies on the east side of the river. I had inadvertently crossed over to it while exploring Beam Valley Country Park without realising so I decided to visit it again and explore it fully. I accessed the site from the country park by crossing the footbridge but it can also be accessed off the Rainham Road which runs down the east side of the site.

Footbridge over the Beam leading to Bretons

There's a network of paths both tarmac and grass across the site which consists of meadows, woodland and a lake. I decided to explore the southern area around the lake.



Despite it now being summer, there were still a lot of birds singing in the sunshine, possibly because most recent mornings have been rather grey. Near the lake I heard a female Cuckoo bubbling, clearly a supporter of the local football team.

Chiffchaff

There were a lot of waterbirds on the lake, mostly with families while other birds were breeding on the island.

Canada Geese and a creche of goslings

Greylag Geese and goslings

Little Egret

I exited at the southern end onto Fontayne Avenue and walked back along Dagenham Road. My visit was the first one recorded on eBird so this is another under-watched site that I'll be visiting regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring birding in London

After spending the second half of March in Costa Rica it was good to get back and watch the spring migrants arrive. April is one of the best...