Friday, March 17, 2023

More NW London parks

After a couple of days seeing little at Brent Reservoir I decided to visit a few more local sites despite the poor weather. I took the 297 bus to Perivale Library where it was just a couple of minutes walk along Horsenden Lane north over the canal.

Site 42: Horsenden Hill, March 16th

This is a site I usually go to look for butterflies in summer so I wasn't sure what it would be like in winter. As I expected the paths were fairly muddy but doable in walking boots.


View from the hill looking south

There's a good series of paths around this local nature reserve which is mostly woodland, scrub and grassland. I climbed up the hill to the summit and thought it would be a good spot for visible migration except it happened to be drizzling at the time. However, I heard a Skylark calling and shortly, a trio of them flew north, not what I was expecting in this weather.

It stayed overcast and damp throughout my visit so it didn't make photography easy.

Mallards on a pond

Northern Red-breasted European Robin-Flycatcher-Chat

I did a loop around the western section back to the start then took the path that heads NE along the golf course as that's where I wanted to finish. I ended up seeing 21 species, all reasonably common apart from the migrating Skylarks which were a bonus.

I emerged onto Ashness Gardens in Sudbury and from there it was a ten minute walk up to the Harrow Road to the next site.

Site 43: Barham Park, March 14th

I've been passed this park on the bus several times and thought I ought to visit it. It's only a small park with scattered trees but has a good hedgerow along the embankment of the Chiltern Line.



The railway embankment runs along the northern boundary

I managed a respectable total of 18 species including a flock of 50 Redwing which were feeding on the grass near the east exit onto Harrow Road. It was just a short walk to the bus stop where I picked up the 182 home.

Goldfinch on London Plane

Redwing

Woodpigeon. I've never noticed the Spock-like eyebrow before.

With a tube strike limiting my options today, I decided to head up to a couple of sites straddling the A1. I took the 142 bus from near Brent Res up to Edgware and then the 292 past Apex Corner to Scratchwood.

Site 44: Scratchwood Open Space, March 15th

I had only been here once before, in June last year so a return visit was in order. There had been no other visits recorded on eBird since mine which is a shame as it's a nice place to pop in to see a good selection of woodland birds. 


The main rail line runs under the site; in the background is the M1

Pond

A convenient bench along the London Loop path

Gorse among the woodland

I walked the northern loop heading towards the M1, past the railway tunnel and back up to the car park. As I started walking through the first wooded section I inadvertently put up a Woodcock that was roosting under a bush by the path. Given the time of year I suspect it's a migrant on its way back to Northern Europe. There was a lot of woodpecker activity and I heard both Nuthatch and Treecreeper. 

I then took another path south which went down to a pond and then east, following the London Loop path over to an exit along the A1.As I left a Buzzard rose up and started circling overhead.

Buzzard

As I didn't want to cross six lanes of traffic I walked down to the subway which was further than I originally thought then back up the other side to the next site.

The A1 separates the two sites.

Site 45: Moat Mount Open Space, March 15th

I didn't visit this site last time so it was another new one for me. It has the same habitat as Scratchwood and I followed a circular path through Nut Wood (I didn't encounter Rupert Bear and friends) and around a small lake.

the lake held a total of six waterbirds

Moat Mount is a small section of a longer walk

There was a similar selection of woodlands birds to Scratchwood but I didn't see Nuthatch and Treecreeper. There were more birds on the pond with a Grey Heron, two Mallard, two Coot and a Dabchick.

Coot

Little Grebe (Dabchick)

It only took half an hour to walk around and I saw 16 species. My map indicated there was a longer footpath from just off the Stirling Corner roundabout down to Highwood Hill but I didn't see any connection to it on my route. There's a bus stop right by the entrance and I took the 292 to Burnt Oak and 302 home.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring birding in London

After spending the second half of March in Costa Rica it was good to get back and watch the spring migrants arrive. April is one of the best...