Saturday, December 31, 2022

Review of 2022

With lingering snow and Ice and then the holiday period I didn’t see any new species in the second half of December. The cold weather brought nothing into London and many birds left so it was a very quiet end to the year.

I finished on 182 species, way higher than all my previous London Year Lists although this was the first time I actually aimed to get one. I was hoping to hit 190 (200 would have been a dream) but autumn was absolutely dire with no rarities and none of the expected birds such as shrikes, Ring Ouzel and Yellow-browed Warbler. My best find of the year was a Night Heron at Brent Reservoir in spring.

During the year I visited 41 sites across London from Swanscombe Marsh in the east to Staines Res in the west, Rye Meads in the north and Hutchinson’s Bank in the south. It’s been a lot of fun and I will try it again but not next year. Instead, my challenge for 2023 is to visit 100 sites across London and at each site record a species list on eBird and photograph at least one of them.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring birding in London

After spending the second half of March in Costa Rica it was good to get back and watch the spring migrants arrive. April is one of the best...