Sunday, February 27, 2022

February 22-27: waiting for spring

I started this week with a day out at Rainham Marshes as the gales of last week had finally abated. It was a bright morning as I walked across Rainham West and the Cetti’s Warblers were in good voice. At one point one sang (shouted?) about a metre away and it reminded me of the time I saw Motorhead at The Marquee and stood next to the speakers. Fortunately, this time I didn't have to wait two days to get my hearing back!

I spent some time looking out over Wennington from the Serin Mound but there wasn’t much around. I glimpsed something running past my feet which went into a bramble bush. I guessed what it was and when I started squeaking it popped out for a look and I rattled off a few photos. I so rarely see Weasel but it was the second one I’ve seen at Rainham in the past few years.

Weasel

Bumblebee - the first one I've seen this year

Despite the acres of mud in Aveley Bay there was a severe shortage of waders with just two Curlews and a handful of Redshank. Perhaps yesterday’s mega tide had moved them on. I called into the centre where the talk was of how quiet it was, which I noted after doing a circuit of the reserve. Roll on spring!

After a couple of local visits to Brent Res, mainly to see how the management work was progressing in East Marsh I ventured out east again for another visit to Epping Forest. This time I started at Theydon Bois (I always think it sounds like a football club) and headed through the forest, past Long Running (where Tree Pipit used to breed) and up to Copped Hall. Last time I was here I saw my first London Ravens (another football club!) and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker but there was no sign of either today.

Long Running

I heard several Treecreepers whilst walking through the forest but surprisingly no Nuthatches. It was a lovely sunny morning and after I crossed over the M25 I stopped to look for any raptors that might be up. There were several Buzzards, a Red Kite and a Peregrine that powered its way west over the forest which was rather a surprising place to see one.

Bridge over the M25 to Copped Hall


Buzzard

As there was nothing else moving I carried on past the mansion and took the rather muddy footpath through the fields to Epping and eventually to the tube station which is the eastern end of the Central Line and made my way home from there. 

I rounded off the week with a couple more visits to Brent Res where the highlight was the over-wintering flock of Siskins which had started singing.

Siskin

I thought the spring like conditions may have induced a bit of visible migration but I didn’t see anything flying over; however overnight the number of Great Crested Grebes increased from one to 11 and the Redwing flock had disappeared so it looks like the spring passage has started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring birding in London

After spending the second half of March in Costa Rica it was good to get back and watch the spring migrants arrive. April is one of the best...