Monday, June 1, 2020

Summer insects at the Welsh Harp

With June 1st being the first day of summer I headed over the Welsh Hap after work. It was hot and sunny so looked good for insects. I particularly wanted to check Silver Jubilee Park for Small Heath butterfly as they were seen there last year after having been absent for several years. I climbed up the hill and very quickly found half a dozen on the bee highways that Brent Council started last year and planted with wildflowers and grasses.

Small Heath

I walked back down the hill and cut across West Hendon Playing Fields looking for more butterflies. I saw my first Meadow Brown of the year but it didn't hang around, unlike a newly emerged Black-tailed Skimmer so I walked along the north marsh towards Cool Oak Lane. It was good to see that the bridge construction workers were back on site for the first time since lockdown so hopefully they'll finish the new footbridge shortly.

Black-tailed Skimmer

I bumped into a Red Admiral and spent some time looking through the bumblebees before walking along the North Circ via Staples Corner.

Red Admiral

Over on Neasden Rec I found a more cooperative Meadow Brown and a few Large Skippers.

Large Skipper

Large Skipper

Meadow Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring birding in London

After spending the second half of March in Costa Rica it was good to get back and watch the spring migrants arrive. April is one of the best...