Friday, July 19, 2019

June 25-26: Two days to PNG


Papua New Guinea has always been a country I’ve wanted to visit but it’s always been out of my budget until recently. I almost went last year but the trip was cancelled less than two weeks before I was due to fly out due to civil unrest. Then, I managed to get on a last minute trip to West Papua with Birdquest instead so I did get my fix of New Guinea birds but I still had a hankering to visit PNG.

Fortunately I got another chance this year when the company I went to Chile with - Partnership for International Birding - (along with Neil Bowman) had two cancellations for their 18 day PNG trip which we quickly snapped up. Flights were arranged by our friendly travel agent Sacha Barbato  and so, on June 25 I arrived at Heathrow T3 for the first of three flights to get me there, on Emirates to Dubai.

We were about an hour late departing but that just meant less time waiting around in the early hours in Dubai for the second leg to Singapore which left on time at 03:05. Emirates flights have a good supply of movies to watch to pass the time and I arrived in Singapore early afternoon where I met Neil who arrived after me on KLM. 

The only bird I managed to see at the airport was Javan Myna before boarding an evening flight on Air Niugini to Port Moresby. For a small plane on a government owned airline it was surprisingly roomy in Economy and the evening meal was excellent, although it was late in departing.

This is where we would be going:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring birding in London

After spending the second half of March in Costa Rica it was good to get back and watch the spring migrants arrive. April is one of the best...